As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Population: 1.3 billion (63.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Hinduism
- Government: Federal republic
- World Watch List Rank: 15
- Source of Persecution: Religious nationalism
WATCH MEENA AND SUNITA’s STORY
In this short film, Meena and Sunita describe the night they were beaten by Hindu extremists for choosing to follow Jesus, but prayed for God to forgive their persecutors, even as the attack was taking place.
GIVE TO HELP BELIEVERS IN INDIA STAND STRONG
Hundreds of our brothers and sisters have been violently attacked for their faith in Jesus this year alone. Your support can enable Open Doors partners to provide them with vital aid and long-term support.
On average, more than 15 Christians were physically attacked every week in India in 2016.
Since the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came into power in 2014, radical Hinduism has increased steadily. There are anti-conversion laws to prevent people from leaving Hinduism in five states, and there have been efforts to impose such a law at a national level. Some of those who have left Hinduism to follow Jesus have been attacked and even killed by their own parents.
- For protection and strength for Christians from Hindu backgrounds, particularly those who have been attacked and stigmatised by their families and communities
- For wisdom and guidance for those who are still choosing to evangelise, even in states with anti-conversion laws
- That a national anti-conversion law would not be passed, and that God would be at work in the hearts of India's leaders.
How we help
Open Doors is supporting the church in India through:
- Distribution of Bibles, Children's Bibles, training manuals and Sunday school materials to persecuted Christians
- Holistic training for pastors, church workers, women, youth, children and family groups
- Livelihood and community development, adult literacy programmes, bridge schooling for children, vocational education, and urgent aid and relief for persecuted Christians
- Advocacy support, legal seminars, and providing Rapid Action Teams in the field to help the victims of persecution.
Listen to a Hindu-background believer
In this moving interview for Prayer News, a Hindu-background believer living in the UK reveals how her choice to become a Christian impacted her Hindu mother and family in India – and how it continues to do so to the present day.