As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Uhuru Kenyatta
- Population: 48.5 million (39.7 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Christianity
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 18
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
Al-Shabaab's continued attacks on Christians in northeast Kenya are becoming a worrying trend, containing elements of ethnic cleansing.
For the third year in a row, violence against Christians has increased. Though the majority of Kenyans are Christian, in the northeastern border and coastal regions where Islam is dominant, Christians are a target for radical Islamic groups. Somali-based al-Shabaab militants are infamous for crossing into Kenya and raiding towns or attacking buses, where they separate the Christians from the Muslims, and execute Christians.
- That believers who have lost loved ones in raids by al-Shabaab would know God's comfort
- For Open Doors workers providing support and relief to victims of persecution in Kenya
- For Christians in the political arena. Pray for wisdom to counter the growing influence of radical Islamic groups in northeast Kenya.
How we help
Open Doors has been working in Kenya through local partners and churches since the early 2000s, offering support to churches in the volatile Islam-dominated northeastern border and coastal regions. Open Doors assists in the following areas:
- Cross-cultural evangelism and discipleship training
- Economic empowerment
- Leadership and management training for church leaders
- Trauma care training.