As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif
- Population: 196.7 million (3.9 million Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Islamic republic
- World Watch List Rank: 4
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism
An estimated 700 Christian women and girls are abducted every year in Pakistan.
They are often raped and forced to marry Muslim men, which also involves forced conversion. If their families complain, they are accused of harassing the 'voluntarily converted' girl and her new family. Pakistani culture is becoming increasingly Islamic, and militants such as the Taliban and the Islamic State target Christians. The Easter 2016 bombing in Lahore by the Taliban was specifically aimed at Christians, and killed at least 69 people.
- For special protection for Pakistani converts from Muslim backgrounds who suffer the brunt of persecution in Pakistan
- For protection from abduction and attack for Christian women and girls
- For the Pakistani government to pass laws that will protect the Christians in the country.
How we help
In cooperation with local churches and other partnering ministries, Open Doors supports the church in Pakistan through:
- Training (eg pastor's training, literacy training and vocational projects)
- Emergency aid to victims of violent persecution
- Women's ministry
- Bible literacy
- Counselling and trauma therapy.