As persecution increases, your family needs your support to keep faith and hope alive
- Leader: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Population: 80.4 million (187,000 Christians)
- Main Religion: Islam
- Government: Republic
- World Watch List Rank: 37
- Source of Persecution: Islamic extremism/ Religious nationalism
Since the failed coup of July 2016, the level of intolerance against those not siding with Erdogan is intensifying.
Turkish nationalism, combined with an increasing Islamisation of Turkish society means the tiny minority of Christians and other religious minorities face growing pressure, which is increasingly translating into violent incidents. While conversion is not prohibited by Turkish law, there are serious implications for Muslim background believers as they often experience intense pressure from family, friends and community to return to Islam.
- Ask God to enable those experiencing persecution to place their hope and trust in Him
- For grace and wisdom for converts from a Muslim background in dealing with their families
- For perseverance for those who are labelled and treated as traitors after embracing the Christian faith.
How we help
Open Doors is raising prayer for believers in difficult situations, and prayer in general for Turkey.